How It Works
The performances will be delivered via a safe, secure, and private YouTube stream. Simply purchase a streaming pass (click here) and you will receive an e-mail to a locked and secure pre-event screen. A countdown clock will show when your event codes will be revealed. After the code is revealed, another clock will show the live stream start time.
- If you are having trouble locating and using your link, please email email@example.com. Please do not call Smoke for technical support-InstantSeats issues the streaming passes.
- We highly recommend that you listen on speakers or wired headphones as wireless headphones or Bluetooth devices could cause a delay between audio and video.
- For best streaming quality we recommend Safari, Chrome or Firefox browsers, not Internet Explorer.
- Internet speed can also effect the quality of the stream. Avoid having multiple windows open during the live stream. Sometimes clearing your cache and restarting your device can help.
- If you didn’t receive your purchased streaming pass, please check your spam folder.
- If you can't locate your streaming pass, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Note that each stream (Friday & Saturday) will be available for 48 hours in all time zones.
All bands and personnel are subject to change without notice.
Smoke Jazz on Facebook
SMOKE SESSIONS RECORDS CD RELEASE
Orrin Evans - "The Magic of Now"
"A whirlwind of perpetual buoyancy and boundless risk aversion...Evans and company play it full tilt and then some."
-- Mike Jurkovic, All About Jazz
"This is 'in the moment' jazz at its best."
-- Jim Hymes, Glide Magazine
"'The Magic of Now' shows us how much magic is left in the traditional jazz quartet formulation."
-- Jim Tolan, The Big Takeover
"The interplay between the four is so incandescent that it’s hard not to marvel at the magic of being in the moment."
-- J.D. Considine, JazzTimes
On his new album, The Magic of Now, pianist Orrin Evans leads a multi-generational cohort of A-list partners – first-call New York bassist Vicente Archer; iconic drummer Bill Stewart; and the dynamic 23-year-old alto saxophonist Immanuel Wilkins – in a riveting set of music. From the first note to the last, this quartet, convening as a complete ensemble for the first time, displays the cohesion and creative confidence of old friends. Together, they apply their collective mojo to three Evans originals, three heretofore unrecorded songs by Wilkins, and a two-song opening medley featuring music by Stewart and the late great pianist Mulgrew Miller generating an eight-piece program that exemplifies state-of-the-art modern jazz.
The Magic of Now is Evans’ sixth album on Smoke Sessions Records, and the 20th of the 46-year-old pianist-composer’s luminous career. Recorded in the midst of the upheavals set in motion by the COVID-19 pandemic, this latest document of Evans’ kaleidoscopic artistic journey coincides with several self-generated sea changes in his life. Perhaps the most significant change being his decision to leave the popular trio The Bad Plus after three rewarding years to refocus his time and energy on his own multiple musical projects.
“People have had to make adjustments and be reborn to a certain extent,” Evans says by way of explaining the title. “We’re past the point where we didn’t know what was going on or what the future would look like. Now we’re settling into what our ‘new normal’ will be, embracing the magic of now and the shape of what will happen next.”
Get Your Copy Today!